Energy Bill Sticker Shock?
Most of us are dreading opening our energy bill this month after our recent bone chilling cold weather. Today’s average household spends more than $2,200 a year on energy bills alone. Nearly half of this goes to heating and cooling costs. What many people don’t know is that there are ways to significantly reduce a household’s energy bill. Here are just a few simple steps to help lower your home’s energy bill.
- Maintain your air conditioning and heating equipment. It is important to keep your heating and cooling system tuned for peak efficiency.
- Install a programmable thermostat. This device is ideal for those of us who are away from home during certain time periods throughout the week. It can be easily adjusted to fit your family’s schedule and level of comfort. A programmable thermostat can save nearly $180 a year in energy costs.
- Improve duct performance. Make sure to seal any leaks in your home’s duct system by using mastic sealant or metal tape. Duct leaks can result in an inefficient HVAC system, as well as a much higher energy bill.
- Insulate your home. Insulation will help keep the interior of your home warm in the winter and cool in the summer, without a high utility bill.
- Go green. More and more homeowners are converting to renewable energy sources, rather than fossil fuels, for heating and cooling. One of the most popular sources is geothermal, which can cut yearly energy costs by 60 to 70%.
- Sign up for an Energy Audit and have your home tested to determine its energy efficiency level and the best methods to improve efficiency.
- Lower the Hot Water Heater Temperature. By simply lowering the temperature setting on your home’s water heater, you can reduce your energy bill significantly.
- Weatherize your home. Add weather stripping around leaky doors and windows to keep air or heat inside your home.
If you would like to know more about how to lower your Greensboro energy bills, give Logan Home Energy Services a call. We’ll help you to troubleshoot the issue first, and if needed set up an appointment for a service visit. We proudly service Winston-Salem, High Point, Greensboro, Bermuda Run, Kernersville, Burlington, Thomasville, Lexington, and Clemmons.